Cinco de Mayo!! Hola, Hispanics!

Advertisement
Your Ads Here
Ah, it's that storied day of celebration of a Mexican victory over the French, Cinco de Mayo.

Good thing it falls on a weekend, otherwise lots of high school students wearing American flag t-shirts would be scolded and sent home.

Just for the record, I have come to know a lot of Hispanics, many of them from Mexico, here in Hollister.  For the most part, they are very good people:  hard workers, good friends, good neighbors, and good customers.  When they learn that I am studying Spanish, that I think Spanish is a beautiful language, and that Hispanic culture has a lot of worth and beauty, they respond with warmth and friendship.  I don't view Hispanics as "the enemy."  Some are, most are not.

My Spanish teacher at Gavilan College and I have become rather close friends.

Do you know that I can sing "Besame Mucho" and "Cielito Lindo" completely in Spanish?  Also "Rancho Grande" and some other tunes.  When I sing these songs, the alley cats of Hollister join me in the chorus until someone calls the police.  It's fun anyway.

Does this mean that I support illegal immigration?  Not on your life.  But the great majority of Hispanics I have met over the past year are here legally.

One more thing:  Hispanic women are hot, hot, hot!!  Just the facts, ma'am, that's all.

Yes, race is often important -- but it is not all-important.  Keep things in perspective.
Advertisement
Your Ads Here

You might also like

0 Comments


EmoticonEmoticon