Photoshop Reconstruction of WINGED VICTORY of Samothrace

Advertisement
Your Ads Here
"Winged Victory" is a Greek statue of the goddess Nike. It was excavated on the island of Samothrace in 1863, and now stands in the Louvre Museum in Paris. I saw it there in 2007. Archaeologists have dated the statue to 190 B.C.  When the statue was found, the head, arms and right wing were missing. A reverse copy of the left wing was made in plaster and attached to the statue. I have wondered how the statue appeared before it was ruined by the passing centuries, and have attempted a Photoshop reconstruction here. I referred to other images and statues of Nike, most of which show the goddess with her right arm raised overhead, clutching a wreath, which symbolizes victory in war. Read more about Nike of Samothrace here.  (By the way, the Greek word "Nike" means "victory" and is pronounced nee-kay.)

Update:  My wife thought the arms I added were too thin, so I used the bloat/liquify tool to thicken them.  I think she's right:  a buxom lady like this would not have skinny arms.



Advertisement
Your Ads Here

You might also like

0 Comments


EmoticonEmoticon